Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve Metal in the Mail - Septicflesh & Fates Warning

Thanks to my longsuffering mail carrier I'll be ringing in the New Year with four new records from two late-2011 discoveries, Septicflesh and Fates Warning (yes, I know I am 25 years late here).

My Septicflesh collection has now tripled, adding Communion (2008) and Sumerian Daemons (2003) to The Great Mass, one of my favorite discoveries from other folks' 2011 Best Record lists.

I dived into Fates Warning after passing them by most of my life and just this year falling in love with the Arch/Matheos record, Sympathetic Resonance. I started with their two earliest records in stock and available for immediate delivery, The Spectre Within (1985) and Awaken the Guardian (1986). I was shocked - and pleased - to find that the Awaken the Guardian was a triple-disc set with an extra CD of live and demo tracks and a DVD with a 12-track live show from that era's lineup (all for $13.28 brand-new - way to go, Metal Blade!).

I am looking forward to starting 2012 off with a lot of new music - and hope to spend the entire year in the same fashion.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't heard the new Septicflesh yet, but Communion is very enjoyable. Awakening the Guardian took quite a bit of time to grow on me even though it is indeed quality. Would be interesting to see how it fares with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tma, defintely grab the Great Mass. They took Communion and expanded on it. I ranked it at the top of my best of list for 2011.

    ReplyDelete